Minoxidil month 1: shedding, side effects and photos (day 1 to day 35)

This is my first month on minoxidil and finasteride, written as it happened between 30 November and 30 December 2019. It covers why I started, the shedding that scared me in the first weeks, the low finasteride dose I chose, and every side effect I noticed. Each section is the diary entry from that day, with the photo I took.

In this post:

Day 1: 30 November 2019

Minoxidil and finasteride journey

My name is Ali. I am writing this blog because I am suffering from male pattern baldness. 2.5 years back this nightmare started. Initially I noticed my hairs are falling out gradually and thought it is just normal, but my hairs started thinning at the top and temples. My hair density became so low that my scalp is just popping out from the hairs.

minoxidil day 1 hair photo
Day 1

I tried first to go the natural way like using onion juice and castor oil, but nothing worked. I used them continuously but it got even worse. I talked with my doctor, he said you can go with biotin tablets. Believe me, I used it for around 6 months but nothing changed. I was still losing hair and continuously worried. Then at the end of December 2018 I started minoxidil and finasteride 1mg, minoxidil 2 times a day, 1ml.

Within 8 months I got a good result, my head seemed so much fuller than before and I was very happy, but finasteride also causes sexual side effects like decreased libido, decrease in sex drive, etc.

While on finasteride I felt these side effects: it got very difficult for me to achieve orgasm, my sperm became less dense, and my libido decreased somewhat. I started noticing it and finally decided not to use finasteride and to continue my treatment with only minoxidil, because I have no side effects related to minoxidil.

After discontinuing for about 8 months, the starting days went well. I trimmed my hairs and prepared myself that I am going to lose my hair, but at the end of the 8th month my hair started falling at an alarming rate. At present it is falling, so I decided to again start finasteride (29/11/2019), but taking a dosage of 0.25mg on alternate days to reduce the side effects, because I want my hairs on my head and it matters most to me :)

Today is day 1. I will give you updates every single day...

When I take this 0.25mg finasteride I feel a small pain in my testicles, which I already experienced before, but everything goes good...

I will reveal the name of the minoxidil which I am currently using in the next post.

Have a good day. Thank you!

Day 7: 11 December 2019

Minoxidil and finasteride day 7

It's been 7 days and I am on minoxidil + finasteride. Basically my hair is falling at an alarming rate. I know that after using this medication my hair will fall, but they are falling so much I can't even concentrate on other things.

I am using these two for the second time. In the middle I left finasteride 1mg tablets, but after 4 months my hair started falling although I continued my minoxidil treatment. I cut my hair shorter as compared to before because it's very hard to see hairs everywhere you go, on the bed, couch, table, etc., like everywhere. I am writing this blog to tell other people what are the things that you have to go through while going through this medication. I have till now not seen any improvement in my hair, it is continuously falling off.

minoxidil day 7 hair photo

The dosage I take of finasteride is 0.5mg a day instead of 1mg to reduce the side effects, and a topical solution of minoxidil and finasteride. It's very hard to keep the patience to see the result. My crown part density reduced so much that my scalp is peeping out while clicking the picture. I also regularly take biotin supplements which are good for hair, for washing my hair I use Procapil shampoo, and I am taking a very clean diet rich in eggs, carrots and DHT-reducing foods. I just only want to stop my hair fall because in this world no one wants to go bald and I am very badly facing this situation.

Side effects of finasteride

If I talk about the side effects that I am currently facing: on the first day I felt a small amount of pain in my nuts, but it is completely normal. No sign of dizziness, depression, or a decrease in libido.

I reduced my masturbation habit to a great extent. Before, 1 year ago, I used to masturbate about 4 times a day, which is the major cause of this situation due to the high level of DHT in my body which ruthlessly attacks my scalp hair follicles.

finasteride 1mg

Side effects of minoxidil

If I talk about the side effects of minoxidil, there are no side effects that I am facing except dandruff. No sign of dizziness, nothing, and I am on minoxidil since 2018, about 1 year.

If you have not read my day 1 update, read here: click me :)

Day 14: 16 December 2019

Finasteride reviews

14 days have passed today and my hair is still falling, one-two when I massage my hair with the minoxidil finasteride topical solution. I strongly followed every dosage of supplements, finasteride 0.25mg tablet, minoxidil.

It's so hard to see your hairs getting worse day by day. I have nothing but the hope that my hairs get good one day. You can see my progress in my current clicked pic.

minoxidil day 14 hair photo

You can see my hairs are thinning at the crown and the scalp is peeping out, but there is nothing I can do other than waiting for results. I will post another update after a few days.

If you liked my article please share this with your friends and help me to reach out to more people like you.

You can see my previous days' photos here: Day 1 minoxidil-finasteride, Day 7 minoxidil-finasteride

Day 35: 30 December 2019

Cause of delay in posting

I am really sorry for the delay in the updates of my hairs. The delay is due to my semester exams, there is a lot of rush in my timetable, that is why I am unable to write the blogs. But now I am free and will give you weekly updates of my hair.

My hair condition updates

Now come to the point. You all are eagerly waiting for the answers about the side effects that I face. I will tell you everything one by one.

minoxidil day 35 hair photo
Photo of hairs just after removing my cap because it's very cold here
  1. During 20-25 days my hair fall still continued, it did not halt. Hair fall is from the front part and some tiny hairs also fall along with the normal hair. Mostly I see hair when I apply minoxidil, 10-20 every time I see on the table or the place where I do some stuff.
  2. If I talk about my finasteride related side effects, currently from the past 1 month I am on finasteride 0.25mg daily and till now I have not seen any side effects. In fact, no sign of laziness, dizziness, loss of sexual desire, everything is fine. I am also doing gymming and overall it is good, but my hair is still losing and I am worried about my hairs. Ideally it is said that firstly you will face hair loss.
  3. If I talk about my topical minoxidil and finasteride solution, I am applying it on my scalp on a regular basis. The previous day I skipped the night dosage but it is completely normal. If you skip one dose, don't take that dose later, just leave it and continue with your next dosages.

Thank you for your time. I will regularly post my updates from now, you can see my next post after 7 days.

Comments