Everyone tells you minoxidil is for life and that if you stop, the hair goes. I have tested that by accident many times in six years, and on purpose once when I changed bottles. This is what actually happens when I miss a week, when I miss two, and what happened when I switched from Morr F 5% to a plain minoxidil solution in 2026. One person, not advice.
What happens when I miss a week
In the last six or seven months I have not been regular. Travel, laziness, nights I forgot. The pattern is the same every time. Nothing for the first few days. Then, somewhere around a week, the shedding starts: more hair on the pillow, more in the basin, more on my fingers when I run them through. Two weeks off and it is obvious. The hair that minoxidil was holding on to lets go.
What happens when I start again
It comes back. Not overnight, and not all of it. A few weeks of twice a day and the shedding drops back to the normal five to ten hairs a day. I cannot tell you that every missed week cost me permanently, but I can tell you that my hair in 2026 is thinner than in 2021, and the irregular months are part of why.
The bigger shed: switching from Morr F to plain minoxidil
Around June 2026 I stopped Morr F 5% and moved to a plain minoxidil generic with an alcohol base, 2% for now. I did it because Morr F contains topical finasteride and I did not want finasteride any more. The shedding after that switch was the biggest I have had since the first month in 2019, and bigger than when I stopped the finasteride tablets in 2022. It makes sense in hindsight: I removed the finasteride and changed the minoxidil in one go. If I did it again I would change one thing at a time.
It is settling now. Whether it settles back to where it was, I will know in a few months and I will update this post.
Things I tried that did not help
- A dermaroller, in 2020 and 2021. I could not see any extra result and it was a pain to keep up. I stopped.
- Doubling up after missed days. It does not catch up. The diary has a post on why more is not better with finasteride, and the same logic held for me with minoxidil.
What I do now
1ml twice a day, on the scalp, and I try not to think about it. The days I skip are the days I pay for two weeks later. That is the whole lesson.
Questions people ask me
How long can you skip minoxidil before hair falls out?
For me, about a week before the shedding starts, and it is obvious by two weeks.
Does hair come back after restarting minoxidil?
In my experience most of it, over a few weeks of regular use. Not all of it.
Does switching minoxidil brands cause shedding?
Switching from Morr F 5% to a plain 2% solution gave me my biggest shed in six years. Part of that was dropping the finasteride in Morr F at the same time.
Is minoxidil once a day enough?
I have only ever used it twice a day, and the irregular months showed me what missing doses costs. I cannot speak for once a day.
Your turn
How long did you go without minoxidil, and when did the shedding start for you? I want to see if a week is normal or if I am just unlucky.
Related: one photo from every year, 2019 to 2026 and minoxidil side effects after six years.
Comments
Post a Comment